Thank you for your interest in adopting or fostering a Boxer from AABR. Please read these materials carefully. If you conclude that you want to adopt or foster, please follow the application procedure outlined.
(If you have read the procedure and are already logged in: Proceed to Adopt/Foster Application )
Please don’t apply unless you are ready. Dogs are not held, and will go to the first available “best match”. Our non-profit organization is wholly comprised of hard-working volunteers who have successfully placed thousands of Boxers in permanent, loving new homes, and whose only reward is seeing our wonderful Boxers placed in the best matching home possible.
We work only within Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, northern Virginia, Washington DC and Rhode Island. All applications are subject to the availability of volunteers in your area, and applications submitted from bordering states may be considered depending on the availability of volunteers near your home. If you are not in our area, PLEASE DO A WEB SEARCH ON “BOXER RESCUE IN YOUR STATE” and apply to a rescue near you.
Adoption fees: (Not applicable for fostering)
- The adoption fee is currently $400 for most of our dogs.
- Seniors 9 and older are $100. Please consider giving one of our great seniors their forever home. I promise you will never feel better about rescuing a dog.
- There is a adoption application donation of $10.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- Please Register and Login before filling out an AABR application. This will give you access to the Members Dashboard where you can see your application once it has been successfully submitted. No need to email us… if your app is there, you know we got it.
- You will be asked for contact information for your veterinarian(s), and three personal references.
- You must be 21 or older.
- You must be financially able to care for a boxer for the entire life of the dog. (Not applicable for fostering)
- You will complete an extensive application which will become part of your contract should you adopt a boxer from AABR.
- Optional info: You will also be asked to list 3 available dogs you may be interested in. It is important to realize that most likely the dogs noted in your application will have been adopted, or no longer available by the time your review is complete. THIS IS GOOD NEWS! These dogs have found forever families, or there were so many applicants for that dog that we moved it to No Longer Accepting Apps. The cycle time of the review process works this way for all.
Every dog adopted will have the following:
- Current on vaccinations and dewormed
- Spayed or neutered
- Will be micro chipped
- Will be treated for heartworms and/or started on heartworm prevention. Please be prepared to continue preventive HW treatments upon adoption.
- Any additional treatable and known medical problems will be paid for by the rescue prior to adoption.
NOTE: Once a dog has been adopted, any new medical problems that arise are the responsibility of the new owner.
- Login and Fill out an Online Adoption/Foster Application.
- Your application will be reviewed and references checked. You may receive a phone call or email to clarify or discuss your application. If your app matches available boxers needs*, your application will be forwarded to a volunteer in your area, who will contact you to schedule a home visit.
- After your home visit is complete and if you are approved* you can begin meeting dogs. An AABR Foster Advocate will assist you in this process.
*Not all homes are suitable for a Boxer… And not all Boxers are the same. If you are not immediately approved or matched with one of our Boxers, you may choose to remove your app from consideration, or wait to see if the right dog comes along.
Getting your boxer:
AABR volunteers spend many hours a week picking up and transporting dogs to safety. We will certainly try to work with adopters in getting their new family member, but we hope that if a home is committing to an animal for the rest of its life, (up to about 12 to 13 years, depending on the age of the dog at adoption), then hopefully a few hours spent traveling to get the dog will not be too much to ask.
Sign an adoption or foster contract:
When we have found a dog you want to adopt or foster, you will be required to sign an adoption or foster contract, and provide updates to AABR over the life (or foster) of the dog. You become a part of AABR’s family, and we will be here to support you when you need it and enjoy hearing about all the good times life with a boxer brings.
*Please Register and Login before filling out an AABR application. This will give you access to the Members Dashboard where you can see your application once it has been successfully submitted. No need to email us… if it is there, you know we got it.
Adopting an animal is a life time commitment. An animal of any breed is a living, breathing, thinking, being. It is not like buying an inanimate object that can be tossed out for little reason. Your app will become part of the adoption contract if you are approved. Only committed homes need apply.
If you are already logged in: